Although our teeth are designed for a lifetime of wear and tear, they do have their limits, and most materials in our world are just simply too hard for our teeth to chew through. Because our adult teeth will not grow back, we must be careful with what will be our last natural pair.
Teeth are more fragile than they may seem. Protect yourself by taking these preventative measures against the following oral health risks:
– Giant pieces of hard candy or foodstuffs can fracture or split your teeth. Exercise attentiveness with all hard food products.
– Smoking or chewing tobacco can stain your teeth, seriously elevate your chance for gum disease, and promote tooth decay.
– Although chomping on ice may seem safe and healthy as it is only frozen water, the reality is that you can easily chip or crack your teeth on ice cubes.
– Try to avoid sugary drinks and foods. Bacteria can build up on your teeth in a layer called plaque, which can transform the sugars from foods and drinks into harmful acids that can eat through tooth enamel and cause cavities.
– Never use your teeth to open soda cans or bottles. Doing so can fracture your teeth very easily.
If you need a professional cleaning at Chicago Bright Smiles, schedule an appointment with Drs. Rafieian and Olech, our dentists in Chicago, Illinois. Our office can be reached at 312-642-5107. We remain committed to keeping your smile wonderful for many years to come.