Did you know that there are other weapons you can use besides a toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss in the fight against oral bacteria? Although brushing and flossing should never be skipped or replaced, chewing sugarless gum can be an excellent supplementary aid. Consider this information:
– Chewing sugarless gum is tremendously beneficial after meals because it helps increase the saliva flow in your mouth, washing away food particles and neutralizing harmful acids which can eat through your enamel.
– Although sugarless gum may help your smile by no means will it ever be a replacement for brushing and flossing.
– Sugarless gum can also help prevent and treat heartburn, which is created by a buildup of acids which travel up your esophagus. Sugarless gum can also protect teeth when acid reaches your mouth.
– Studies show that chewing sugarless gum after meals can help prevent cavities.
– If you suffer from a jaw disorder such as a TMD, chewing sugarless gum regularly is not recommended.
While you’re marveling at the benefits of chewing gum, don’t forget your regular dental checkups. Dr. Sudi Rafieian and our team would love to see you at Chicago Bright Smiles in Chicago, Illinois. To schedule an appointment, please call us at 312-642-5107.